Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Thinking out loud.

I wonder how normal it is for a new business owner to feel a bit lost the first year of their start-up. My set up is very simple and straight forward. Yet, it's been difficult to pull the trigger on anything for the past few months due to the fact that I only have half my usual level of energy due to this pregnancy. I want to advertise but fear the possibility of more than one client at a time. I want to work 8 to 9 hours a day but can only pull off 5 or 6. I want to put Kaolin in daycare half time immediately to save money but I can't predict whether I'll be able to obtain a few more patent firm contracts like the one I've been able to establish in Greenbay. Ofcourse, I want to start sending out a wave of contacts around the region or country but haven't had the energy to get past filing my taxes even. The obvious choice here is to file my taxes, send out a wave of contacts and hope to establish at least 2 to 3 more independent contract jobs. If I start getting business coming in starting May, then Kaolin continues with school part time. If by May, it's still as dead as it is now, then she'll be in school part time. I only wish that I could switch her to part time immediately tomorrow since I'm not even working full time anyway and am so worn out all the time. Perhaps I should gather my gutts up out from under my disoriented bowels and do half time with her now and see how things go. It could easily be like this all the way through August (a 50/50 chance of it) or it could get busier but most likely in May or June. I guess that's the better idea then. To go at it backwards. I still can't figure out how to advertise. I really want to get out of the litigation game altogether now and focus on patent law if I can possibly do so. Perhaps some estate planning part of the time to fill the gap. I just don't know when would be the right time to revise my website and change my webpage online. Maybe I really should keep it as a general practice online right now while doing contract work behind the scene according to my original plan and aim for next February as the date when I launch my more specialized business. I am so antsy for it to begin now, it's really hard to wait that long. Maybe the more realistic goal would be for me to have everything set up by August of this year so that I won't have to fuss with it all too much once the baby is born and the few months afterwards. This leaves me with 5 months to train myself in greater detail in the arts of patent prosecution and estate planning, find someone who will create my website for me for a reasonable price, figure out how I want my website to look and the contents within, get up to 5-6 independent contracts set up with patent firms round the country for next year or at least get a comprehensive contact list and start making initial contacts with more professional advertisement, and save enough cash to afford two babies in daycare come October through January. I think that I can do this all on a part time basis over the next 5 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment