Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Dusk till dawn

The three of us girls shuffled into the car in the pending moments of dusk.  Not yet 6pm but darkness was already surrounding us.  Daddy's out of town for business.  I had cobwebs in my brain and found myself driving around the south side of town finding my way to a place, any place that served a decent ribeye - medium rare over a Sheboygan hardroll.  Marjele's had a 30 min wait...even on a Wed night!!! F**^&&!!!  K suggested we head to Bill's.  Well, somehow we ended up at the Mucky Duck.

From cobweb to cobweb, we entered the quiet solitude of Wednesday night restaurantuering Sheboygan style.  The only customer was an old man eating soup hunched over in solitude.  The rest composed of owner and staff by the bar whom, it turns out to be the parents of Ms. Melissa (K's teacher), who was there to greet us at the door with a giant warm hello and hug!  I guess it was meant to be.  We had the whole restaurant to ourselves, a 30 minute parent teacher conference, a seat by the window overlooking the night sky and the pier.  Dim lighting was a balm to a long harsh day and the loneliness of dining without dad.  (Clay's on business in Jersey).  K even had an entire audience by the bar admiring her silliness. 

I have become a regular of the Sheboygan ribeye sandwich.  I've come to know enough people in town to know people at nearly every establishment I enter...people that I know from other
places originally.  I have stories about every corner store, every corner restaurant, every restaurant owner, etc.  The northside pier has a feeling of comfort to me like home.  Tonight it really sunk in me spiritually that I have blended into this city.  My heart is beginning to root in Sheboygan.  I only wonder if fate feels the same way about it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment