Friday, January 4, 2013

Rivers and Stones

We do our best in life to create a path, to follow a direction with our entirety, aspiring for something greater.  Two stones begin a path together, both pushed down a river by the hands of fate and with the force of nature's stream.  The nature of the stones as they are, with hopefully enough complementary crevices to allow a tight connection along life's bends.  Over time, with the washing of the water and the force of the river, edges are worn smooth.  If the connection between crevices are not maintained, those would be worn smooth too.  Eventually, the connection degrades.  Hands slip away between each other under the turbulence of the river.  As we encounter a fork in our path, I diverge and you cannot hold on.  We have lost those crevices that use to bind us.  I follow my fate as you are taken down by the tied on another journey.  In our own individual paths, we become ourselves in true form separate from each other.  If I should meet you again at the end of the road, by the mouth of the ocean, will I recognize you?  Will you have anything left from the erosion of life?  Did you have the strong core I always hoped you had or is the center a weak mass of sand?  You needed me to shield you from life's harshness.  I did so because it was my nature and my commitment to you.  I continued to erode away, my bond disconnecting from you, you are now exposed.  I wish you strength on your journey to the sea.  Do not make the same mistake in relying on another to shield you from the pain of life.  The journey of two requires a give and take of love in order to maintain that connection and protection for each other throughout.  We cannot become one if our love is one sided.  To find your complementary self again at this moment, you must allow the river to reveal new crevices.  The journey is still long.  Have faith in love and the force of nature as it is driven to find stability by means of a complement of you.  There is always hope if you can be true to yourself.             

2 comments: