Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Kindness

A perk to my business is the random invitations by my clients to engage in their special world.  For example, on a late night business meeting near Milwaukee at a metal factory yesterday evening, I was offered the opportunity to operate a heavy machine.  More for me to become intimately familiar with this particular industry.  For now, I respectfully decline the fun distraction but reserved the opportunity to cross it off my bucket list.  Few weeks ago, I was Lincoln Lawyering it through the heart of Wisconsin, my first time in Appleton for another prospective meeting.  It was a gorgeous day for a drive and a chance to discover what the big deal was about Appleton.  In truth, Sheboygan has grown so much that it's surpassed any expectations I could have had for a place I'd want to call home.  These days, I've become zen surfer girl and walk through my days in a dream state.  Between my office with the westerly window, my little rental nest that serves a decent first home, and my favorite cafe, I float on other people's dreams.  I am the modern day Abe Lincoln, making house calls.  Or the constant gardener, tending other people's gardens.  Sometimes, even a surgeon of other people's hopes and dreams gone awry.

We have come a long way.  I have found myself on fluid track.  As the sun makes its way lower in the horizon with the onslaught of fall, the good weather still holds on and I take my girls to the beach each day to draw out our spirits a little longer.  We celebrated Casey's second birthday this past Sunday.  The three of us, surfer girls in the making, beach bumming it on the shoreline of Lake Michigan.  We'll take the beach whereever we can find it.  I helped Casey open her birthday present, Minnie Mouse beach toys.  She has recently discovered her legs and would get into sudden moods for running...away, towards, etc.  It was hilarious recording her chasing a flock of seagulls across the beach.  The Packers were playing that evening, so we had the entire shoreline to ourselves.  Just the birds and us three.     

There is a place where my heart has found soft ground to rest.  Kindness and peace is all I can take, only what I am willing to take.  I try to be more quiet and listen to kind words these days.  I hope to find more of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment